iOS App


Availability-based scheduling for individuals and groups.

While an undergraduate at UT Austin, I regularly observed my own and others' difficulty to schedule group activities between multiple social and academic calendars. After discussion with my then-collaborator Austin Evers, we decided to explore this problem from the perspective of a mobile app.

  • Outcome

    iOS app shipping in Fall 2015.

  • Company


  • Period
    Spring 2015
  • Skills

    Visual Design, UI Design, UX Design, User Research

  • Tools
    • icons/photoshop Created with Sketch. Photoshop
    • icons/xcode Xcode
    • googleFormIcon Google Forms


We knew that while we had personally experienced this problem, this amounted to anecdotal evidence. So, the project began with structured interviews of student organization coordinators. We learned that while organizations and coordinators keep detailed calendars, they do not sync with their members’ individual calendars, and members do not take steps to share and sync calendars. Save for those with enterprise experience, few knew how to subscribe to others’ calendars, and take advantage of existing group-scheduling capabilities. Additionally, we left the structured interviews with an outline of the thought process by which these coordinators scheduled events.

We then moved on to survey a larger pool, validating what we had learned in our initial interviews. Yes, students and organizers kept calendars, but did not subscribe to each others’ or use them to track others’ availabilities.


To sync calendars, we required user registration. However, we found that a significant body users used Facebook to manage group events, and their personal calendars to separately manage small events and academics. This gave us reason to lock user registration to Facebook SSO, so that we could access both personal calendars and existing group events.

The Solution

A month after being shown different potential solutions, the client decided to proceed with the pager model. After producing an interactive prototype for further testing, I delivered the necessary materials for the client’s internal team to continue in this new direction.

We went ahead with a concept from Round 2 in which motors are paged between, with acceleration value and directionality manipulated through the clickwheel-like interface. Speed is communicated, redundantly with the physical device, by the screen's color.